ScienceBack to Subjects
At Park Academy, we strive to equip our students with the knowledge, understanding and skills that will enhance their scientific literacy and help them to contribute successfully in a rapidly changing Global community.
Key Stage 3
Year 7 students are taught in Maths and English sets, with Year 8 being set into ability groups. Students are assessed on each unit of work in addition to previous topics so that by the end of the year they can see the progress they have made across all the subject areas.
In Year 7, students study a varied curriculum of six separate topics: Cells and Reproduction, Ecology and Plants, Forces and Motion, Acids and Alkalis, Electricity and Magnetism and the Particle Theory of Solids, Liquids and Gases.
Similarly in Year 8, students study a continued varied curriculum of six separate topics, which build on the knowledge acquired in Year 7. These topics include Plants, Food and Digestion, Light, Sound and Space, Reactivity and Metals, Rocks and the Earth and Forces.
Key Stage 4
GCSE Science is studied for three years in Years 9 to 11. The vast majority of groups are taught by two or three teachers in order to provide specialist teaching. The exam board used for all courses is AQA. Science is compulsory for all students, and the Science department will decide the most appropriate pathway for each individual.
Current Y9 and all future cohorts
Most students will study GCSE Combined Science (two GCSEs); some higher-attaining students will complete three GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. All exams are taken at the end of Year 11 and there is no coursework or controlled assessment element.
GCSE Combined Science
Two units are delivered side-by-side by two teachers throughout the course. Each unit is assessed by two exams i.e. a total of four exams. All exams are 1hr 45mins.
Unit 1: Life and Environmental Sciences: including topics ranging from health and disease, to radiation and risk, to ecosystems and biodiversity
Unit 2: Physical Sciences: including topics ranging from acids and alkalis, to forces and motion, to rates of reaction
Students sit two exams; both are 1hr 45mins. Topics covered include infection and response, inheritance and evolution, and ecology.
Students sit two exams; both are 1hr 45mins. Topics covered include atomic structure and the periodic table, organic chemistry, and chemical analysis.
Students sit two exams; both are 1hr 45mins. Topics covered include space physics, the particle model of matter, and waves.
Current Y10 and Y11 (outgoing specification)
Most students study ‘Double Science’ (two GCSEs) with some higher-attaining students studying three separate GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Students study and sit the exams for GCSE Core Science in Year 10. There are three 1hr exams in Biology, Chemistry and Physics at the end of the year, each weighted at 25%. The final 25% is made up by their ISA (controlled assessment), which is taken during the year.
Based on their GCSE Core Science results, students will then continue on to study either GCSE Additional Science or GCSE Additional Applied Science in Year 11.
Additional Science - There are three 1hr exams in Biology, Chemistry and Physics at the end of the year, each weighted at 25%. The final 25% is made up by their ISA (controlled assessment), which is taken during the year.
Additional Applied Science – Students sit one 1hr exam at the end of Year 11 weighted at 40% of the GCSE. The remaining 60% comes from two coursework assignments which are completed in class during the year.
GCSE Biology AND GCSE Chemistry AND GCSE Physics
Each GCSE is assessed by three 1 hour exams at the end of Year 11 (i.e. a total of nine exams). Each exam is weighted at 25% for that course. The remaining 25% for each qualification is made up by the ISA (controlled assessment), which is taken during the course.
Key Stage 5
Students in the Sixth Form are offered the following awards:
- AQA AS/A Level Biology (New specification from Sept 2015 onwards)
- AQA AS/A Level Chemistry (New specification from Sept 2015 onwards)
- AQA AS/A Level Physics (New specification from Sept 2015 onwards)
- AQA A Level Science in Society
For the new Biology, Chemistry and Physics specification, students will be entered for the AS at the end of Year 12; students wishing to take the full A level must pass this. The A level is 100% exam at the end of Year 13 and includes all the AS content. Students studying the full A level will also receive the Practical Endorsement of their competency in carrying out 12 compulsory practical experiments.