In an increasingly competitive and fast-changing world, in which employers demand good numeracy and literacy skills, it’s imperative that our students leave the Academy with a strong grasp of these skills. English and Maths skills are essential for any further education, job or career pathway that our students might want to follow.
As part of our No Limits Curriculum, Park Academy recognises all teachers as teachers of literacy and numeracy, regardless of their subject. We strive to give students the opportunity to practise and improve on their literacy and numeracy skills throughout the day, as well as through their homework and independent learning tasks.
As an Academy, we are aware that education changes rapidly. To support our students, we also recognise the importance of supporting parents and carers as sometimes the way that your children do things may seem alien to you. Words and phrases like ‘chunking’ and ‘number lines’ can be confusing and sometimes you may not be sure how best to support your child.
There are a number of books available to help you to support your child in their studies. We particularly like:
- How to do maths to your children can too: the essential parents’ guide by Naomi Sani (Primary)
- Parent’s survival guide to maths homework: make sense of your kid’s maths by Andrew Brodie (Primary)
- More maths for mums and dads (the teenage years) by Rob Eastway (Secondary)
- Grammar for Grown-ups by Craig Shrives
- Grammar for Grown-ups by Katherine Fry
If you think that there is a way that the school could help you to support your child in the development of their basic skills please do let us know.