In this section, you will find a series of Frequently Asked Questions, and answers.

If you can not find the answer to your question here, please telephone the Academy, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.


What if my child is absent?

For safety reasons, it is vital that we know as soon as possible if your child is going to be absent from school.  Please call us on 01895 430066, option 1, and leave a message stating your child’s name, Academic Mentoring Group and, where possible, length of absence. We also ask that you send in a note explaining your child’s absence on their first day back (this can be written in the student planner). We will contact parents/carers of any child with an unauthorised absence by text message on the first day of absence.

What if my child is late?

All students who are late should report to the main reception with a note explaining their lateness. Reception will then mark them present. The Academy takes punctuality to school very seriously and students who are late to school without a legitimate reason will receive a 1 hour detention on the same day. Parents/carers will be notified by text if this is the case.

How do I apply for Free School Meals?

Please see the Free School Meals page on the website, by clicking here.

How can I pay for my child’s school meals?

Park Academy West London has a cashless system. Parents should put money onto their child’s account through the Parent Mail website. Alternatively, students can put money onto their account at school through the self service machines or Student Services.

Should you need any assistance or experience something you think isn’t quite right, please email

What if my child is issued a detention after school?

After school detentions are issued according to our Behaviour Policy. Parents/carers are informed of detentions of an hour or more, on the same day via text message. The teacher or staff member who issued the detention should also call you to explain why the detention was issued. If you have any questions about a detention issued to your child, please telephone the Academy on 01895 430066 and ask to speak to your child’s Academic Mentor or subject teacher, who will call you back as soon as they possibly can.

Please note that students can be kept behind for up to 30 minutes without notice.

My child needs to leave early for an appointment. What should I do?

Please do not contact them by their personal mobile, as these are banned at the Academy. If you call the school on 01895 430066, someone will assist you to ensure the message is passed onto them.

My child is leaving Park Academy to attend another school / reside abroad permanently. What should I do?

You need to telephone the Academy and ask to speak to the Attendance Officer on 01895 430066. They will advise you of the next steps and what we need from you.

We are going on a family holiday during term time. What do I need to do?

The law only allows the Principal to allow absence in exceptional circumstances. A holiday in term time is not an exceptional circumstance. Taking your child out of school during term time for a holiday will mean that your child misses valuable education, which they will not be able to get back, and could leave them behind other members of their class and struggling in their lessons. Holidays taken during school time will be marked as unauthorised in the register, and, in partnership with Hillingdon Council, any parent who takes their child out of school to go on holiday may be subject to a penalty fine or prosecution in Court under the Education Act 1996. sec 444(1). Your child may also lose their school place, and you would have to reapply for a school place. We may not be able to offer you a place back at Park Academy West London.

What basic equipment does my child need each day?

We expect all students in to be full school uniform every day, and their school equipment. You can find out more about what students need on our Uniform page, by clicking here.

Why is the student planner so important?

The student planner helps students organise their work. It helps students record and plan their home learning. It is also the first point of Home – School communication. Academic Mentors check and sign the planner on a weekly basis, and we ask parents/carers to do the same. It is one of the ways in which you can share messages with your child’s teachers.

Can my child bring a packed lunch to school with them?

Yes – this can then be eaten in the canteen or playground.

My child has to take some medicine during the school day, what should I do?

Please call us at the school so that we can set up a time to meet with you to discuss your child’s medication requirements.  Based on this we will draw up a care plan and then designate a specific person who can help your child take their medicine, normally the Welfare Officer. The link person for this is Ms Austin.

What if I want to speak to someone at the school about my child’s education?

If you have any concerns at all about any aspect of your child’s education or progress, then we encourage you to call us / write a note in your child’s planner requesting a meeting with the Academic Mentor or class teacher, if it is a specific subject enquiry. The Contact Us section of the website can be accessed here.

What if my child arrives in the incorrect uniform?

At Park Academy West London, we have very high expectations about school uniform.

It may be possible for your child to borrow spare uniform items from Student Services, but if this is not possible, parents/carers will be contacted and asked to bring in the correct uniform item or your child will be sent home to change into correct uniform. Only medical notes from a GP are accepted as a reason for not wearing correct school shoes.

What if my child is being bullied?

We take all forms of bullying seriously as an Academy and will act swiftly, firmly and supportively to deal with any instances of bullying. A concerned child or parent/carer can speak to any member of school staff, but the Academic Mentor is the best place to start. The Academy will then investigate the issue fully and act in the best interests of the children involved. At all stages of the process the child and parent/carer will be kept informed of events and outcomes.

Please see the following leaflet for Cyber Bullying and Harassment: Cyberbullying Advice Sheet for Adults

Who can I speak to about financial assistance with school trips / visits?

You may write a letter to your child’s Academic Mentor or teacher running the trip, explaining the situation. This will then be passed to a member of the Senior Leadership Team to see whether it is possible to offer support, although this is not always possible.

Will I get a copy of my child’s timetable?

Your child’s timetable should be written in their student planner and they are given a printed copy. However, particularly for new students, it is customary for some adjustments to be made to their timetable during the first few weeks. Parents/carers can see an updated copy of their child’s timetable by asking Reception for a copy to be given to your child.

What sort of after school / extra-curricular clubs are available?

There are a range of after school clubs for students. These include Year 11 Interventions in most curriculum areas. There are also a wide variety of sporting clubs including football, netball, athletics and table tennis. Other after school clubs include our Art Club, fundraising groups, amongst others. A full list of clubs is made available each term.

What if my question has not been answered here?

You can contact us on 01895 430066, and Reception will ask for the member of staff to call you as soon as possible.

Where next


Please read the Park Academy West London Admission Arrangements Policy 2024 to 2025 Please read the Park Academy West London Admission Arrangements Policy 2025 to…


We use cookies to analyse usage of the website.
Collecting this data allows us to make the website work as well as possible.

Find out more